"Lord, you have been our refuge in every generation."
Still Proclaiming the Gospel Throughout the Land
First African Missionary Baptist Church is a Historic Landmark in Liberty County, Georgia.
About Our Church
First African Missionary Baptist Church desires to win souls for Christ while encouraging the congregation's spiritual growth through passionate worship, faithful service, and active ministry in the love of Jesus Christ.
The First African Missionary Baptist Church, the oldest black church in Liberty County, has its origins in the North Newport Baptist Church, founded in 1809. In 1818 the North Newport Church, composed of both white and black members, purchased this site and erected a church building here which had a gallery for the slave members. In 1854 the North Newport Church moved to Walthourville, but the black members in the area continued to use the old building.
In 1861 the black members formed their own church organization and the first black pastor was the Reverend Charles Thin. On July 20, 1878 the North Newport Church sold the building to A. M. McIver for $225 for use by the First African Baptist Church.
One of the early white pastors of this church was the Reverend Josiah Spry Law to whom a cenotaph was erected here in 1854 by both blacks and whites.
We believe in One God eternally existent in the Heavens - The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit.
We believe that man is redeemed and saved by the Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
We believe that our purpose is designed by God and we can live a transformed and joyous life in Christ.
We believe that Jesus Christ will return to the earth to rapture His church, the Body of Christ.
We value life, love and fruitfulness.
We value Authentic Faith and Integrity.
We value family.
We value Holy Matrimony.
We value community.
We value education and community service.